Thursday 16 July 2009

Against me! - The Original Cowboy - Review



Against Me! – The Original Cowboy (Fat Wreck – 2009)
First things first, I did lose a lot of faith in this band when I heard New Wave, and even more when I found out they had parted ways with their beloved drummer, Warren Oakes. However I thought maybe, just maybe there was light at the end of the tunnel when I found out Fat Wreck would be releasing the demos from their second full length “The Eternal Cowboy”.

Upon first listening to the record, which is little over 20 minutes long, and features 2 songs that have already been released on a 7” single some years ago I began to feel a little ripped off. The thing that lets this “album” down the most is the fact the track order doesn’t work. The demo versions of the songs aren’t as different or alternative as you’d hope or expect from an officially released demo album. The songs that are different (Unsubstantiated Rumors… and Sink Florida Sink) are the 2 alternative takes that have already been released.

Unfortunately all in all, there’s little good to say about this release. It kind of seems a little pointless. So my faith in Against Me! Has not been restored. It’s not a bad album, it’s just an album I’ve already heard before, in better quality, with a better track order.

Review By Paul Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment